Quartz countertops are a popular choice for kitchens and bathrooms due to their durability, beauty, and low maintenance. However, with the rising popularity of quartz, there has been an increase in the number of cheap knock-off brands. These counterfeit countertops can be a major risk to your investment, as they may be made with low-quality materials, lack rigorous testing, and contain harmful substances. Knock-off quartz brands can chip or crack easier, colors may fade, or finishes may not be uniform. If you’re on a tight budget and are willing to take the risks then knock-off quartz brands can be cheaper to purchase, but the risks in terms of quality are much higher.
An unfortunately common trick in the countertop industry is to bait and switch finished materials. While most industry fabricators are honest, the occasional disreputable fabricator has been known to swap materials on unsuspecting price-conscious customers who believe they are getting a great deal.
A recent example in our area: a customer quoted out Pental Misterio from a nearby fabricator. The fabricator then obtained cheaper knock-off materials also labeled as “Misterio” but from a different quartz supplier. Since there are several off-brand quartz countertops labeled as “Misterio”, the customer had no idea they were not receiving true Pental Misterio quartz until they happened to check the labelling on the bottom of their countertops.
Here are some of the dangers of buying cheap knock-off quartz countertops:
- Poor quality materials: Knock-off quartz countertops are often made with lower-quality quartz or even recycled materials. This can lead to countertops that are more prone to chipping, cracking, and staining.
- Lack of rigorous testing: Reputable quartz countertop brands subject their products to rigorous testing to ensure they meet stringent industry standards for strength, heat resistance, and stain resistance. Knock-off brands often cut corners on testing, which can result in countertops that are not as durable or safe.
- Health concerns: Counterfeit quartz countertops may contain harmful substances such as high levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other toxic chemicals. These substances can be released into the air over time, posing health risks to your family.
How to identify reputable quartz countertop brands:
- Research the brand: Before making a purchase, it’s important to research the brand to make sure it is reputable. Look for brands that have a good reputation in the industry, a long history of delivering quality products, and positive customer reviews. Confirm with your fabricator that the material they have quoted you on comes from the brand which you specified.
- Check for certifications: Reputable quartz countertop brands should have certifications from reputable organizations such as Greenguard and NSF International. These certifications verify that the countertops have been tested for safety, quality, and environmental impact.
- Examine the warranty: A strong warranty is a sign of a brand’s confidence in its product. Reputable brands typically offer comprehensive warranties that cover manufacturing defects and certain types of damage. Cambria for example, offers a lifetime warranty.
- Inspect the finish: Knock-off countertops often have inconsistencies in color, texture, and finish due to their inferior production methods. Reputable brands invest in advanced manufacturing techniques that result in a uniform appearance with minimal variations. Another easy check is to read the printed label on the bottom of the countertops. Brands such as Stratus, Pental/Architectural Surfaces, MSI, Paul Ryan Surfaces, and Cambria have clear brand-name labelling on the bottom of each slab.
- Request samples: If you are still unsure about a particular brand, request samples of the countertop material before making a purchase. This will allow you to assess the quality, color, and texture firsthand.
Buying cheap knock-off quartz countertops can be a major risk to your investment. By doing your research and choosing a reputable brand, you can be sure to get a countertop that is durable, safe, and beautiful.
Here are some additional tips for avoiding cheap knock-off quartz countertops:
- Buy from a reputable dealer: Avoid buying quartz countertops from online retailers or big-box stores. Instead, buy from a reputable dealer that has a good reputation and can provide you with a warranty.
- Ask about the materials used: Make sure to ask the dealer about the materials used to make the countertops. Reputable brands will use high-quality quartz and resin. Also be sure to ask about the warranty.
- Inspect the countertops closely: Before making a purchase, carefully inspect the countertops for any flaws or inconsistencies. Reputable brands will have countertops that are uniform in color and texture. DURING or AFTER your install do a quick check underneath the bottoms of your countertops and verify the brand name.
By following these tips, you can avoid the dangers of cheap knock-off quartz countertops and choose a countertop that will last for years to come.
Not sure what quartz countertops are the right choice for your South Sound area project? At Tops Countertops we stick to brand-name countertops unless specifically told by the customer to find cheaper options. We are all about saving you money but at Tops we do it honestly. Contact our sales team to learn more about the highest quality countertop brands in our area at the most affordable price point!