In today’s design-conscious world, countertops have become much more than just functional surfaces. They have evolved into focal points, adding character and personality to kitchens and bathrooms. If you’re looking to update your space with a fresh and modern look, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we’ll explore the latest trends in countertop design, providing you with ideas and inspiration to transform your home.
The kitchen is the heart of the home, and the countertops are one of the most important features. In 2023, we will see a number of trends in countertop design, including:
- Large format porcelain slabs: Large format porcelain slabs are becoming increasingly popular, as they create a sleek and seamless look. These slabs can be used for countertops, backsplashes, and even flooring.
- Bold colors and veining: Bold colors are making a comeback in countertop design. These colors can add a touch of personality to any kitchen. We are also seeing more warmth come into customer selections, with more shoppers purchasing brown or grey countertops with eye-catching movement patterning in the material.
- Natural materials: Natural materials, such as porcelain, marble, granite, and quartz, are still popular choices for countertops. These materials are durable and beautiful, and they can add a touch of luxury to any kitchen.
- Countertop Waterfall Edges: A waterfall edge refers to the continuation of the countertop material down the sides, creating a vertical drop that resembles a cascading waterfall. Let’s explore why waterfall edges are becoming increasingly popular and how they can elevate the overall aesthetics of your home.
Here are some specific examples of each trend:
- Large format slabs: Large format slabs are oversized porcelain or ceramic slabs that typically measure 5 feet by 10 feet or even larger. Unlike traditional countertop materials that are limited in size, these slabs provide a continuous surface that can span across backsplashes, countertops, and even flooring. The absence of visible seams creates a smooth and unbroken flow, resulting in a clean and minimalist aesthetic. Apart from their striking visual appeal, large format slabs offer several practical benefits as well. The absence of grout lines makes cleaning and maintenance a breeze, as there are no crevices for dirt or stains to accumulate. Additionally, the larger size of these slabs means fewer seams, resulting in a more hygienic and bacteria-resistant surface. The durability of porcelain or ceramic ensures that your countertops, backsplashes, and flooring will stand the test of time while maintaining their pristine beauty.
- Bold colors and veining: One of the most striking trends in countertop design is the use of bold veining patterns. From classic marble-inspired veining to more unique and exotic designs, veined countertops can add drama and visual interest to any space. Look for materials like quartz or porcelain that feature prominent veining in contrasting colors, such as white veins on a black background or gold veins on a dark gray surface. These statement-making countertops instantly elevate the overall aesthetic of your kitchen or bathroom. A bold color, such as emerald green or cobalt blue, can also add a touch of personality to a kitchen. This color can be used on an accent countertop, backsplash, or even appliances.
- Natural materials: Natural stone countertops, such as marble and granite, have stood the test of time and remain a popular choice among homeowners. The timeless beauty of these materials adds elegance and sophistication to any space. In recent years, lighter-toned marbles and granites with subtle veining have gained popularity, offering a more contemporary and minimalist look. Consider Calacatta marble or Carrara marble for a sleek and luxurious feel, or opt for darker granites like Absolute Black or Black Galaxy for a bold statement.
- Countertop Waterfall Edges: One additional trend that is making waves in countertop design is the use of waterfall edges. Waterfall edges make a bold statement and serve as a captivating focal point in any space. The vertical drop of the countertop material adds depth and visual interest, creating a seamless flow from the countertop surface to the floor. This architectural feature can instantly transform an ordinary kitchen or bathroom into a visually stunning area, adding a touch of luxury and sophistication. The seamless and continuous surface of waterfall edges also makes cleaning and maintenance easier, as there are no joints or seams to trap dirt or debris.
When choosing a countertop material, it is important to consider your budget, style, and needs. If you are looking for a durable and beautiful countertop that will last for years to come, a natural stone countertop is a great option. If you are on a budget, repairing any chips or cracks in your existing stone materials can be a cheaper option. If you do intend to sell your home sometime in the next 5 years you will want to consider natural stone. Homeowners have come to expect quartz or granite countertops. And if you are looking for a countertop that is unique and stylish, a bold color or large format slab may be the perfect choice for you.
No matter what your budget, style, or needs, there is a countertop material that is perfect for you. With so many different trends to choose from, you are sure to find the perfect countertop to update your kitchen or bathroom.
In addition to the trends mentioned above, there are a few other things to keep in mind when choosing a countertop material.
- Maintenance: Some countertop materials, such as marble, require more maintenance than others. If you are not prepared to do regular maintenance, you may want to choose a material that is more low-maintenance.
- Warranty: Some countertop materials come with a warranty. This can be helpful if you have any problems with your countertop in the future.
- Local availability: Some countertop materials may not be available in your area. If you have your heart set on a particular material, be sure to check to see if it is available locally.
By considering all of these factors, you can choose the perfect countertop material for your needs. Feel free to browse our Idea Gallery to get inspired, and if you are located in Western Washington, remember to book an appointment with the Tops sales team to review your next passion project!